Now that UltraSn0w has been updated to support iOS 4.3.1 and the jailbreak is also untethered, you can now easily upgrade to the latest iOS and preserve your baseband so that you can unlock your iPhone 4. This tutorial will show you how to preserve your iPhone 4 baseband and unlock. This is assuming that you have modem firmware 01.59.00.
Sn0wBreeze is a windows version of PwnageTool that will create a custom firmware and preserve your baseband, You can easily use either of these tools but for this tutorial I will show you how to use TinyUmbrella to preserve your baseband and upgrade to iOS 4.3.1 and then run RedSn0w to jailbreak. This tutorial will work on both Mac and windows. Just be sure to download the correct programs.
1. Download the latest TinyUmbrella.
2. Start Tiny Umbrella with your iPhone 4 plugged in. Save your SHSH files for iOS 4.3.1. (You should be saving your SHSH files whenever a new firmware comes out!)
3. Click on Start TSS Server. If you get any errors, visit the TinyUmbrella FAQ page and fix the errors before continuing.
4. Launch iTunes and click on restore while holding down the shift key if you are on Windows or the option key if you are on a Mac.
5. Select the iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.1 firmware file. If you don’t have it you can download it here: iPhone 4 Firmware restore file for 4.3.1 (If it saves as a .zip file make sure to rename it to .ipsw).
6. The restore process should get a 1013 error. Click on OK and close out of iTunes. Your iPhone 4 will have a connect to iTunes logo displaying. If you get an error other than 1013, it means your baseband was updated. This is likely because you did not have the TSS server running or you are using a device other than an iPhone 4.
7. We need to get the iPhone 4 into DFU mode by holding the home and power button until the screen goes black. Then count to 2 and let go of the power button but keep holding down the home button. Your screen will turn black if you did it correctly. If not you will see an Apple logo and the screen will go back to the connect to iTunes logo. If you see this you need to start step 7 over.
9. Run Fix Recovery and it will get you to the iPhone activation screen.
10. You will now need to activate your iPhone 4. To activate it the correct way you will want to put whatever sim card the iPhone is locked to in and start iTunes. Most iPhone are locked to AT&T so put in any AT&T sim in to activate. It does not need to have service. If you do not have a sim to activate we will use RedSn0w to Hacktivate.
11. Start RedSn0w and jailbreak. RedSn0w will hacktivate if you did not activate officially in step 10:
redsn0w_0.9.6rc12: (current version as of writing this)
12. Once you are done following the RedSn0w instuctions you will have Cydia on your iPhone’s home screen. Launch Cydia, do all of the updates and then install the UltraSn0w package to unlock. You will also want to download our T-Mobile MMS fix if you are on T-Mobile.
Incoming search terms:
- iphone 4 baseband
- update iphone 4 baseband
- upgrade baseband iphone 4
- save baseband
- how to upgrade iphone 4 baseband
- prevent baseband update iphone 4
- prevent iphone 4 baseband update
- how to keep baseband on iphone 4
- How to save baseband
- update iphone 4 keep baseband