Not even a day after the iOS 4 GM was released to developers, it has already been jailbroken. Please note that this guide is for iPhone 3GS users only and will most likely not last that long as the GM version will be replaced on June 21. The official release by the Dev Team will be available soon. This apparently preserves your baseband so you can unlock your phone with ultrasn0w or blacksn0w.
USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- PwnageTool (download)
- firmware 4.0 GM for the iPhone 3GS
- iTunes 9.2 Beta
- Jailbreak bundle (download) Place in ‘PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/’
- Latest Cydia build (download)
There are some things that should be mentioned.
- you should have your SHSH-Blobs saved in order to reverse the update and be able to go back to 3.1.2
- Old bootrom (untethered JB) iPhone 3GS required!
- No lockdown patch => you need an official operator SIM to activate.
- You need to restore the ipsw from a recovery mode on a jailbroken 3.1.2 or 4.0 Beta fw; Spirit JB doesn’t patch iBoot and cannot be used to restore to custom firmware.
- You also need to replace Cydia bundle with a newer version because the one in PwnageTool 3.1.5 crashes on 4.0.
Extract the data.tar from deb in 7Zip or other tool and use ‘tar xpvf data.tar’ while in ‘PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/CustomPackages/CydiaInstaller.bundle/files/’ directory to update Cydia bundle shipped with PwnageTool.
You need to be on 3.1.2 with redsn0w in order to jailbreak. You can’t jailbreak with 3.1.3 on spirit.